Yesterday I finished a composition! Check it out here:
It is in three movements and is inspired by water.
An inspiration for this piece came from the creation story in Genesis from the Bible, where we are told that the Spirit of God hovered over the waters. In my mind this piece aims to capture this ‘moment’ where both the calmness of God’s control and his creative genius are simultaneously ordered and terrifying.
As water is a reflective substance, the second half of the piece is largely a reversed version of the first half (it begins just after the storm).
I recorded, arranged and edited all the sounds that you can hear. Apart from my voice, no ‘normal’ acoustic instruments were used.
Some of the sounds included are (in order of appearance):
– foam packing (to create waves – first sound you hear)
– my mum washing up (used in conjunction with The Mangle)
– my voice (pad sound – again with The Mangle)
– hand sifter
– my dishwasher closing (thuds)
– body percussion (clicks, chest beats and tongue clicks)
– door slams (thunder – I am most pleased with this sound!)
The artwork was created by my Dad on his Surface Pro.
Let me know what you think in the comments!
Peace – Jonno